Location: Tucson, AZ
Requisition #: vl-00002770
Duration: Full Time
Cambium Learning® Group is a leading educational solutions and services company that is committed to helping all students reach their full potential by providing evidence-based solutions and expert professional services to empower educators and raise the achievement levels of all students. The company is composed of five business units: Voyager Sopris Learning™, Learning A-Z, ExploreLearning®, Kurzweil Education™, and VKidz Holdings. Together, these business units provide best-in-class intervention and supplemental instructional materials; gold-standard professional development and school-improvement services; breakthrough technology solutions for online learning and professional support; valid and reliable assessments; and proven materials to support a positive and safe school environment.
The copy editor is responsible for copyediting and proofreading student and teacher-facing resources and instructional materials and working within proprietary content management systems as needed for certain review processes. She or he will report to the Editorial Services Manager and work with editorial and design team members to maintain consistency in style, tone, and quality of finished products for a variety of resources across Learning A-Z product sites.
Essential Job Functions
- Copyedit and proofread student and teacher-facing resources and other materials across Learning A-Z websites for consistency in style, tone, and level, and adherence to company style guides and standards
- Conduct research and fact-checking on content for products, including consulting subject-matter experts
- Work closely with the Editorial Services Manager to create and/or maintain style sheets for products across Learning A-Z sites
- Attend status and planning meetings as necessary
- Review content information and metadata in relevant databases
- Coordinate with supervising editors, contract copy editors, and design team members to ensure on-time delivery of resources
- Recruit and evaluate potential contractors, vendors, and consultants as requested
- Assist with training staff and contractors as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned
- A BA or MA in journalism, English, or other related discipline from a four-year college or university is required
- At least two years’ experience editing, copyediting, and proofreading in a professional setting
- Excellent communication skills; able to communicate clearly, effectively, and professionally both verbally and in writing with members of various development teams
- Keen eye for detail and print design
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a variety of personnel
- Ability to meet deadlines in fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Acrobat Pro and Microsoft Office; able to work across Mac and PC platforms
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- A background in publishing, especially educational publishing grades K–8
- Experience copyediting and proofreading teacher- and student-facing copy for an educational company
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style 16 and 17
- Fluency in Spanish; experience copyediting Spanish-language materials is an asset
To apply for this opportunity, simply click on the “Apply Now” button and submit a cover letter and resume, or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to include link to online portfolio, if applicable. Please include the job title and requisition number in the subject line of the email.
EOE including Disabled and Vets. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.