For many early elementary classrooms across the United States, the amount of time that has been allotted for educators to teach science is minimal. But as more schools continue to adopt Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)*, or state standards similar to NGSS, many educators are experiencing or anticipating a shift toward increased science education exposure for early elementary students. This means more time in the classroom learning about science, especially for grades K-2!
But according to a study published in 2016 by WestEd, SRI International and the Lawrence Hall of Science, research revealed that there is a lack of science resources available to teachers and students, making it challenging for teachers to engage students in frequent high-quality learning opportunities.
As of November 2017, there are now 19 states that have adopted NGSS, and with many other states demonstrating interest in developing science standards that are similar to NGSS, teachers are looking for more ways to incorporate high quality, affordable resources that are engaging to young learners.
Support NGSS In Your Classroom With High Quality Resources From Science A-Z
Science A-Z helps teachers to provide engaging learning opportunities through a collection of kid-friendly reading content and experiments that extend unit instruction. Science A-Z delivers thousands of resources in Life Science, Earth and Space Science, Physical Science, and Process Science. In addition to a robust library of multilevel informational texts, Science A-Z also delivers interactive virtual labs, hands-on activities, and other collaborative learning opportunities that allow students to think and act like scientists.
Whether you’re a kindergarten or sixth grade teacher, Science A-Z provides resources directly correlated to NGSS. To save educators time and energy, Science A-Z provides instructional topics that are pre-organized using resources that help motivate students to learn about science.
- Project-Based Learning Packs provide collaborative activities that encourage creativity and critical thinking.
- Process Activities offer hands-on learning opportunities to apply important concepts and develop scientific practices.
- Interactive Science Lessons offer engaging virtual labs that help students think like scientists as they learn science concepts.
- Investigation Packs use close reading activities to help students apply key practices and develop 21st century skills.
- Multilevel Nonfiction Books build a strong foundation for each unit and integrate science into the reading curriculum.
- Science in the News engages students with multilevel articles covering current STEM-related news and events.
- FOCUS Books explore high-interest topics in depth and reinforce STEM practices with challenges and assessments.
- Career Files demonstrate how ideas and concepts in instructional units relate to real-world jobs in STEM fields.
- Multilevel Quick Reads give students an opportunity to dig deeper into core science ideas and crosscutting concepts.
NGSS uses a three-dimensional model, focusing on crosscutting concepts, science and engineering practices, and disciplinary core ideas. Science A-Z supports teachers as they implement NGSS. Certain resources adopt a three-dimensional approach—blending content, big ideas, and practices—while other resources can be combined to support the integration of all three dimensions.
Learn more about Supporting NGSS with Science A-Z
Sign up for a live webinar or start a free 2-week trial!
* Next Generation Science Standards is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards was involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.