Teaching English as a second language is a challenge, but the ELL Collection can help increase your ELLs' proficiency in speaking, reading, listening, and writing. The ELL Collection combines Raz-Plus with targeted resources that help ELLs hone the language skills they need for success inside and outside the classroom. Here are 6 things you need to know before you get started.
1. Targeted ELL Resources
The ELL Collection provides a wealth of targeted ELL resources created for guiding ELLs in practicing key speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. These resources include:
- Leveled Reader Packs that structure vocabulary, grammar, speaking and writing supports with engaging texts and multi-day lesson plans.
- Content Picture Packs that help students learn essential vocabulary with colorful, detailed illustrations and guided lesson plans.
- Vocabulary Books that develop students’ Tier 2 and 3 academic and social language skills.
- Assessments that track students’ language learning progress and provide in-depth information about students’ development in speaking, reading, listening, and writing.
- Language Skill Packs that offer content-based materials to support student progress in math, foundational skills, science, language arts, social studies, and social and instructional language.
- Vocabulary Power Packs that provide digitally accessible activities where students practice content-based vocabulary with clear definitions, engaging images, and discussion questions that encourage making real world connections.
2. Social Learning Opportunities
With Raz-Plus’ variety of instructional materials, the ELL Collection lets you take advantage of dynamic reading activities that reinforce social language learning. Raz-Plus Project Based Learning Packs, Close Reading Packs, and Comprehension Skill Packs are ideal for getting students to collaborate as they read critically and discuss possible solutions to a reading-related problem. Because these packs include readings for all ability levels, your ELLs can hone their social English language skills while learning from their peers.
3. World Language Translations
When ELLs can read fluently and confidently in their native language, they can more easily understand and acquire English. With over 900 Spanish books and over 400 French books, Raz-Plus provides many opportunities for ELLs to gain content knowledge in their native language while practicing foundational English language skills such as developing phonological awareness and decoding letter-sound connections.
4. Leveled Books for All ELLs
Every ELL learns at a different level and pace, and the ELL Collection provides leveled materials that are appropriate for practicing foundational, intermediate, and advanced literacy skills. Raz-Plus offers over 1,000 printable, projectable, and digital books in high-interest topics for every ability level and interest. From Graphic, Comic and Humor books to suspenseful Serial Books with recurring colorful characters, your ELL students will be sure to find a book they enjoy at their ability level.
5. Curricular Correlations
The ELL Collection correlates to WIDA, TESOL, and ELPA1 standards. The ELL Collection’s resources are designed with these language proficiency standards in mind so you can be sure that every lesson addresses critical language learning needs.
6. Assessment and Monitoring
With digital options for assigning activities, you can make sure students are practicing critical language skills. The Raz-Plus assignments feature allows you to assign digital resources to the whole class, small groups, or individual students. After you have assigned resources, you can monitor student progress in your and view student reports according to skill level and evaluate how individual students and the whole class have progressed in a particular skill.